Artifact of the Month
From the Orrstown Museum Collection – a fraktur – a German art form. This one announces the birth and baptism of Christianna, daughter of Henry Shuman and Catharina Albert on August 2, 1812. The Society owns several frakturs from the 1800’s.
Previous Artifacts of the Month
A recent donation is this copper kettle made by William Heyser. Williams father Jacob came to Chambersburg from Hagerstown, Md. in 1794, and he prospered during the following years through the purchase of property. His son William joined him in the coppersmithing business by 1823 and they continued making teakettles and applebutter kettles and other items in the tinning line until William sold the business to George Heck in 1848, as he was interested in other business ventures. This kettle is stamped W Heyser, Chambersburg.
Recently acquired framed ambrotypes, these two sisters are Margaret Fowler and Mary McLemore, whose Mother was Mary Ann Ross, great granddaughter of Benjamin Chambers, founder of Chambersburg.
A recent acquisition was this beautiful crazy quilt made c1885. After being stored in cedar chests and passed down through four generations, Sandy Grotberg donated to FCHS whose husband was Charles Barbour. This quilt was made for his great grandfather J William Barbour by his sisters Lyde and Sally Barbour on the occasion of his marriage to Irene Sears. The pictures depict childhood portraits, family pets, Masonic symbols and motifs of that era. J. Will Barbour was a noted photographer in Chambersburg whose business was located on S. Main St.
This 18th century dower chest is believed to come through the Diehl and Stenger families from Marion. It was probably made around 1790 in the Lititz-Ephrata area. The coloring is from vegetable dyes and the design of Adam’s columns and tulips on the corners is typical of that area. The chest is made of pie using wooden pegs, and the corners are dove-tailed.
This lithograph was done in 1877 by W. W. Denslow from Zion Reformed Church and shows various landmarks in downtown Chambersburg. He was well known for his illustrations especially his work in The Wizard of Oz.
Colt 1908 ACP semi- automatic pistol .25 calibre donated by Sue Burkey whose great grandfather Enos Horst Sr., confiscated it from a prisoner in the jail sometime between 1916 and 1920. This model was manufactured by Colt from 1908 to 1948 and marketed as a small concealable firearm which could be easily tucked into a vest pocket. Designed by John Moses Browning, this model was similar to his earlier European version. During World War II, it’s use was limited by OSS and SOE due to the covert nature of these organizations in fear of capture. These organizations included many women who were undercover agents overseas as well as codebreakers.
John Stamm donated these bayonets in 2002 to the Society, which were given to him by Harvey Diehl. Mr. Diehl had a contracting business and stored his tools in a barn in the parking lot behind Olympia Candy Kitchen. Research showed that the Confederate Army used both of them; one made in Germany, and one made at the US Armory at Harper’s Ferry.
The curved one can be bent indicating that it passed through extreme heat. Perhaps they were left in a building that was burned in July of 1864?