Brown's Mill School
Intersection of Brown's Mill Road and Angle Road in Kauffman's Station, between Marion and Greencastle, PA.
By Appointment Only
FCHS-K Members: FREE
Adults $3 cash
Youth (age 6 - 17) $1
Brown's Mill School was built in 1836, two years after the Pennsylvania Legislature passed the Free School Act. In 1921 the school closed and stood empty, deteriorating until 1934 when a Memorial Association was formed to restore the building. The Brown's Mill School was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.
In 2002, the FCHS-K purchased the Brown's Mill School from the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission through the generosity of Thomas G. and Nancy H. Burkey and family. The school is dedicated to the memory of the Honorable Enos H. Horst and Mildred Sheller Horst. The FCHS-K and The Franklin County Chapter of the Pennsylvania Association of School Retirees cooperate in its operation and maintenance.