2021 Archived Artifacts
John Bell was born in Maryland in 1800 but moved to Waynesboro in 1833 where he opened a pottery with his family for which he became a fairly famous artisan. He was considered a master potter and prospered particularly in the 1850’s and 1860’s. Today, his crocks and redware pieces bring high prices at auction.
This GAR certificate appointed John Gerbig Aid-de-Camp for their Society in 1902. He enlisted in Co. A, 2nd Pa. Volunteer Infantry in 1861, and in 1862 he entered the Quartermaster Corps for three years.
Active in the community, he served six terms as Town Councilman, was elected sheriff in 1890, and served as a treasurer of the Columbus Lodge of I.O.O.F. and of the Blue Loge of the Masons. He served as director of the National Bank of Chambersburg and of the Chambersburg Trust Co.
He lived until 1927 and is buried at Cedar Grove Cemetery.
This Schwenkfelder organ donated to the Society in 1982 was built c1803 by a member of the Krauss family. The Schwenkfelder’s were a religious group who fled from the area of Silesia for the United States, particularly Pa., one of the protestant groups that settled in the Lehigh and Berks Counties. The Krauss family were organ builders, surveyors, farmers, wool-carders, deed writers, organizers of choral societies and book publishers. Their papers are stored at the Schwenkfelder Library at Pennsburg, Pa.
Portrait of William Judd, painted by noted artist John Neagle (1796-1865), who was born in England c1798 and immigrated to America. Between 1850 and 1860, he moved to Chambersburg. His daughter Anna Judd married Jacob Jarrett. Their daughter Emma Jarrett married Joseph Sierer, a founder of the Sierer Furniture Company in Chambersburg.
A recent donation to the Archives is this Revolutionary War Claim dated 7 June 1832 for services rendered by Ensign John Kremer, 1753-1836. He enlisted in the spring of 1776, 5th Battalion of Associators in Berks County. About six years after the Revolutionary War, he moved to Franklin County where he lived the rest of his life. His descendants erected a tombstone in 1911 at the Pleasant Hall Graveyard, at whose church he was a founding member. He was entitled to receive $60 per annum given by the war office on 22nd July 1834, signed by B. F. Butler, Acting Secretary of War; Pension #S-7120.
John Cree – 1805-1890 - was born in Burnt Cabins, but removed to Chambersburg around 1825 and married Jemima Kirby in 1830. His occupation was listed as furniture and fixtures –chairmaker and cabinetmaker.
He was an elder in Falling Spring Presbyterian Church but later joining Central Presbyterian Church and became an elder there.
During the fire of 1864 he was in Pittsburgh, but later described his inability to find where his house stood as he walked through the destruction.
He died peacefully at home in 1890 in Chambersburg.
Recent acquisitions from the Cree family include portraits of John and Jemima Cree, very prominent members of the community in the 1800’s. Jemima, nee Kirby, made this school girl sampler in 1812 when she was 12 years old. Her father, Thomas Kirby, was one of the first educators in the county, beginning at Back Creek, Brown’s Mill School, and coming to Chambersburg to teach at a school on the corner of Water and Washington Sts. Buying property on W. Queen St, he opened what would be considered the beginning of the Academy.
Later he became a county surveyor and died in 1815 and is buried at Falling Spring Presbyterian Church graveyard.
This lovely marble top occasional table made in the Victorian style was donated by Joan Bowen. It was made by her great uncle, William Houser, at Sierer Furniture Company in Chambersburg around 1890 especially for the family. William was born in 1854, son of John and Caroline Poorman Houser, and worked at the furniture factory for over 30 years.
This tin plate was left by soldiers camping in the lumber yard of Leonard Ebert (today where Chambersburg Fire Department stands) during April 1863. The scene of the old King St Bridge was painted by Ebert’s daughter Carrie.
Dr. Benjamin Rush Senseney, born in Chambersburg son of Dr Abram Huber Senseney, while visiting in the west saw the effects of smallpox. After 3 years, he returned to Chambersburg and established the Pennsylvania Vaccine Farm in Hamilton Township, on land on the Warm Spring Road in the “Cherry Lane” area. Here he used heifers to produce an animal virus which was shipped over the world. It saved the lives of thousands of people by immunizing them against the virus.
This pencil drawing was found in our collection and was penned in 1885 and autographed on the back by Helena Modjeska, a very famous Polish actress 1840-1909, who immigrated to America and became a naturalized citizen in California in 1883. A note on the back reads, “I thought you might like an autograph of the fair Helena, and so send this. RW.” But, the mystery lies in who RW might be and his connection to the fair Helena and to our Society.
Piggy Bank from the Valley National Bank of Chambersburg, today known as The Heritage Center. It was designed around 1916 by the firm of Furness, Evans and Company. Frank Furness was a major architect of the 18th - 19th centuries who designed over 600 buildings during his lifetime, including the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, Rudeph Shalom Temple, the library for the University of Pennsylvania, and the First Unitarian Church in Philadelphia. Although, he died in 1912, his firm, with the men mentored, continued until 1931.